If you are an Apple fanboy, you must be aware of FaceTime. It is a video/audio messaging app, which allows users to interact with other individuals across the world. FaceTime is loaded with stunning features like filters, group video calling (up to 32 participants), smooth video/audio experience, privacy, and a bunch more to bring a smile on the users’ faces.
If you use Mac as your primary work device and want to address your video/audio call needs, then FaceTime is the best option for it. Let’s find out more about it.
- 1 How to set up FaceTime on Mac?
- 2 How to use FaceTime on Mac?
- 3 How do I receive FaceTime invites on my Mac?
- 4 How to stop receiving FaceTime calls on my Mac?
- 5 How to FaceTime with an email address?
- 6 How to change your view on a FaceTime call?
- 7 How to pause or mute a FaceTime call?
- 8 How to clear recent FaceTime calls?
- 9 How to change ringtone in FaceTime?
- 10 Can I FaceTime from my Mac to my iPhone?
- 11 How to take a live photo from a FaceTime call?
- 12 Why can’t I FaceTime on my Mac?
How to set up FaceTime on Mac?
One of the best things about using an Apple product is its seamless experience. And Mac is not so different. As FaceTime only runs on Apple devices, it only takes a few minutes to set up the app on Mac. Let’s understand the process to setup facetime for pc.
1. Open FaceTime and sign up with your Apple Id and password.
2. Search for the ‘Preferences’ section and select/deselect email ids that you hate to be eligible for FaceTime.
3. To add a new email id, go to system preferences->iCloud->account details->contacts. Click on the + icon (when you are done). All the changes will be saved automatically.
How to use FaceTime on Mac?
After the set up process is over, nothing is stopping you from using the app. Here are the steps for it.
1. Open the FaceTime app. To call a single person, choose his/her name from the contacts. For a group call, add the names/numbers of the people or simply choose one by one from the contacts.
2. Click the ‘Green Button’ to start a video/audio call.
3. To add a new person in an active call, tap on the lower-left corner of the call window to show the sidebar, tap on ‘Add Person’ and click on ‘Add’ to send an invite.
How do I receive FaceTime invites on my Mac?
FaceTime works two ways- you can place and receive a call. The above process signifies the steps to place a FaceTime call. But what if you receive a FaceTime invite? What will you do then? You will take a deep breath and follow the below steps.
1. You will get a pop-up notification if the app is open. In case it is closed, you will see a notification on the top-right corner of the screen.
2. Click ‘Accept’ to talk to them and ‘Red Handset’ icon to end the conversation.
How to stop receiving FaceTime calls on my Mac?
There are two ways to do the same- turn off FaceTime from the main settings or disable your account. Let’s find out more about the 2nd step.
- Open FaceTime and navigate to the menu.
- Tap on ‘FaceTime’ and go to ‘Preferences’.
- Uncheck ‘Enable this account’.
How to FaceTime with an email address?
To place a FaceTime call with an individual, you need his/her name, contact number or email address, which is associated with the person’s Apple Id. Any of the three will work.
So, when you open the app, click on ‘+’ icon and enter the person’s email address. It will automatically fetch the details of the person from your contacts (if saved) and place the call.
How to change your view on a FaceTime call?
FaceTime allows you to view the participant(s) in three options- full screen, picture-in-picture window and split-screen. In picture-in-picture mode, you are free to move the smaller window to any corner of the screen. In split-screen, you have to follow the below steps-
- Open FaceTime. In the top-left corner, press and hold the ‘Green Button’.
- You will be greeted with two options- ‘Tile window to left screen’ and ‘Tile window to right screen’.
- If you wish to return to the standard size, click the ESC key.
How to pause or mute a FaceTime call?
If you want to pause a FaceTime call, tap on the ‘Yellow minimize button’ or open a different app. To mute a call, click the ‘Mute’ button on the FaceTime window.
How to clear recent FaceTime calls?
There is a simple process to delete all the recent FaceTime calls on Mac. Just take the help of the below steps-
- Open FaceTime and tap ‘All or Missed’.
- Select Facetime-> Remove all recents.
How to change ringtone in FaceTime?
You can easily choose a default ringtone for all the FaceTime invites. Just follow the below steps for the same-
- Open the FaceTime app and select ‘FaceTime’.
- Navigate to ‘Preferences’ and tap on ‘Settings’.
- Tap on the ‘Ringtone pop-up menu’ and select the ringtone of your choice.
Can I FaceTime from my Mac to my iPhone?
Yes, you can use your Mac to place a FaceTime call to your iPhone/Ipad. Just make sure that you have a decent internet connection and the FaceTime is turned on.
How to take a live photo from a FaceTime call?
In a live photo, the camera records the moments before and after taking the photo. It also includes the audio and this feature is only available in selected countries. To take a live photo in a FaceTime call, follow the below-listed steps-
- Turn on ‘FaceTime live photos’ in the main settings.
- In an individual call, tap the shutter button. In a group call, click the tile of the individual you wish to photograph and click the shutter button.
Why can’t I FaceTime on my Mac?
Sometimes, FaceTime is known to trouble its users by not working properly. In that case, you can do the following-
- Check the internet connection.
- Close and open the FaceTime app.
- Restart your Mac.
- Make sure that the FaceTime is turned on and all its settings are correct.
If nothing seems to work, contact the Apple Support for expert guidance.